A LONG LOST LOVE RETURNS

Twenty two years ago, I lost someone who held near and dear to my heart. She left me for greener pastures. It seems that the promise of new found wealth, a bigger home. And, a stage suitable for mega rock stars was more attractive to her then my life long commitment, devotion, and adoration ever would be.

When she left, I was devastated. I vowed to never love her again. When her name was mentioned, I turned a deaf ear. She was dead to me. I must admit that in her absence, I sought the comfort that I had come to know with her from others. And while these dalliances were pleasant. They were not the same.

About a year ago, I started hearing rumors that she might in fact be coming back. I feigned a lack a lack of interest. But, deep inside my heart was beating with anticipation, that once again we might be reunited.

Finally rumor became fact and I was faced with a real dilemma. Should I remain faithful to the one who had provided me a secure, loving relationship. One in which I had found years of satisfaction. Or, should I pursue this fantasy of love lost?

For good or for bad (only time will tell) I knew that I didn't have a choice. My heart was always hers to do with what she will. And I was powerless to resist her charms.

For the sake of my marriage I probably should clarify that my lost love was the Los Angeles Rams. As a child it was the Dodgers and, Rams for me. I bled two shades of blue. And when the Rams left, I vowed that I would NEVER rood for them again.

And yet hear I am. I have a Los Angeles Rams T-Shirt. I am looking for just the right hat (properly adorned with their logo). And eventually will invest in their jersey as our love begins anew.

Their return has filled a void that I have felt for a long time.  Peyton Manning helped me through the withdrawals that I experienced with no home team to call my own as he reincarnated himself and delivered one more championship to the Bronco fans.

Before him it was Drew Brees. Simply one of the best quarterbacks I have ever seen play the game. When San Diego let him go, I instantly adopted New Orleans as my team. Because, Drew deserved my support.

Then there was my time with San Francisco. Montana, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, even Alex Smith. All of them helped me in my darkest hours when my team left me for another suitor. And while each of these relationships brought me comfort, it was the Rams who held my heart.

So today as I stand at the cusp of beginning my love anew, I can't help but wonder what might have been had they stayed here.

Welcome home Rams, may you find in LA, the love and adoration you spent twenty two years chasing.

                                               

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned From Chop Wood, Carry Water

Purchase Price V Interest Rate

The Freedom That Can Only Come From Accepting Responsibility